This week I made some sugar cookies ( store bought dough :/)for Mackenzie’s class Halloween party. I decided to shape them like candy corn. It was a bit harder than I expected since it’s a triangle but anyhow I succeeded.
To achieve the candy corn sugar cookie you must cut the cookies into triangles and bake. These cookies need to completely cool before decorating otherwise the frosting will melt off.
The recipe for royal icing is very simple:
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons meringue powder
6 tablespoons water
Mix all ingredients on low speed for 7-10 minutes or until the icing loses its shine. Add more water by the teaspoon if it appears too stiff. At this stage you want to be able to pipe it easily.
Now I use special fancy piping bags called ziplock. (Just a sandwich baggie). The tip is super fancy too.( Snip corner off said bag when ready to pipe.)
1.Place about a quarter of a cup of frosting into the conner of your baggy. Twist bag closed.
2. Snip off tiny piece of corner.
3.In the top corner of your triangle cookie pipe the outside border of a triangle filling 1/3 of the cookie. Continue on all cookies.
4. Repeat step 1 in another baggy. Drop one droplet of yellow food coloring and one droplet of red food coloring into bag. Mix and snip Continue piping a border underneath the white piped border an additional 1/3 down.
5. Repeat step 1 and add 1 droplet of yellow food coloring. Mix and snip. Complete piping the remainder 3rd of the cookie outine.
6. Let dry
7. With the remainder of the icing add 2-3 tablespoons of water and mixing until icing when lifted with a spoon drizzles off and disappears back into bowl.
8.separate into 3 baggies.
9. Set one aside for white and add food coloring to the other two and mix until it is your desired color.
10. Flood the cookies with the appropriate colors and smooth out icing with a tooth pick.
11. Let dry.
I sprinkled sprinkles on coordinating colors for a little bit of extra galm before I let each color dry.